Sunday, October 16, 2011

Citra IPA (Zombie Dust Inspired)

I love IPA's. They've been the beer I've stuck with in my journey to a deeper appreciation of all things beer. I've tried as many as I can get my hands on, made a pilgrimage to Delaware to try 60 minute at the source, and brewed many iterations of what never seems to be quite a perfect recipe.

Yesterday my brewing buddy (who I'll simply refer to as JP from here forward) did a ten gallon batch of an IPA with all Citra hops for the flavor and aroma additions. We're lucky enough to get Three Floyds Zombie Dust distributed here in Chicago, and they happen to carry it on tap at Merkle's (one of my favorite bars) whenever they can get their hands on it. It's a new release for Three Floyds, but it is pretty damn close to perfect. It's light copper in color, slightly hazy, and just reeks of that citrusy, resiny hop character that defines an American IPA. It drinks way too easily for something that comes in at 7%.

So, in the pursuit of finding a recipe I can keep coming back to and I based this recipe on Jamil's American IPA in brewing classic styles but substituted Citra for all of the late hop additions.

Citra IPA (10 Gallons)


US 2-Row Malt   25.50lb   (85.0%)
US Caramel 20L  2.00 lb   (6.7%)
Munich                 1.50 lb   (5.0%)
Melanoidin Malt   1.00 lb   (3.3%)


Warrior (17%)  43g @ 60m
Citra (11%) 46g @ 10m
Citra (11%) 62g @ 5m
Citra (11%) 46g @ 0m

We're fermenting at 64F and using White Labs' and Wyeast's California Ales in the two 5 gallon fermenters.






No results yet, but the wort was both sweet and bitter with a pretty hop-forward nose. Hopefully the aroma contribution from the Citra and the slight red tint we should get off of the Melanoidin malt get this beer closer to that IPA I've been lusting after...

No comments: