Thursday, January 10, 2008

Naturally Priming a Cornelius Keg

A few months ago, I decided to try fermenting a lager for the first time in my (still relatively) newly acquired kegerator. Having bought one big enough to accommodate a full half barrel, a standard 5 gallon fermenter and a corny keg fit inside of the fridge just fine.

After the two months or so of fermentation and conditioning it took to actually brew the Czech -style Pilsner, I decided to try naturally carbonating the resulting beer instead of using C02 to force carbonate it. (After months, what's another week for the yeast to do their thing again?) Although I was tempted to try using some preserved, un-fermented wort instead of priming sugar, I got lazy and just opted to use priming sugar. As per usual, I followed Charlie Papazian's advice and used 1/3 of a cup instead of the normal amount you'd use to prime 5 gallons for bottling

I'd say that there is a noticeable difference in the end result. There's a bit less head when pouring the beer, and that which does form takes more time to develop. (Similar to what you'd see on a higher-gravity, higher viscosity commercial brew or on a keg-conditioned beer served at your local brewhouse.) The mouthfeel is definitely more delicate and you get bubbles that are somewhat akin to those you see in a properly poured glass of champaign.

All in all, it's worth the extra week or so to naturally condition the keg. I think I may just have to go for the gyle method next time.

As an aside - if you've got the capability to brew lagers, do it. It may have just been beginner's luck, but this is hands-down the best brew I've produced so far.

No comments: