Saturday, December 10, 2011

Drinking Locally and Learning to Love Small Beers

One of the local options here in Chicago I've really come to appreciate over the past six months or so is Half Acre Beer Company. I tried some of their beer early on when they were still contract brewing up in Wisconsin and wasn't really impressed.


However, I came back to Daisy Cutter and Gossamer earlier this year and had a totally different impression than that of the Lager. They're both smaller beers, with the Daisy Cutter as a pale ale coming in at 5.3% and the Gossamer as a golden ale coming in at just over 4%. They're both great examples of their respective styles, although I think that there's a significant difference between canned and draft Daisy Cutter.

In any case, one of the things I really enjoy about both of these beers is that they really work as session beers. The Daisy Cutter has a nice hop presence which makes it a good option to substitute in for an IPA and the Gossamer is just a well-executed, very drinkable beer. There were a few years where I was all about big beers with big flavor and big alcohol, but the more that I've brewed the more I realize that it takes a very particular type of skill to brew a smaller beer that still tastes incredible.

So my hat's off to the brewers at Half Acre. They turn out some great products and it just feels good to know that my beer dollars are going back to a business that is literally three miles from my house.

Now about that four pack of Over Ale in my fridge...

No comments: