Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Firestone Union Jack in Chicago!

I've been a huge fan of the Firestone Walker beers for a while now. One of my best friends was out in San Luis Obispo for a few years for work and turned me on to their products while you could still only get them in California, Nevada and Utah. I'm pretty sure that in my nascent appreciation for craft beer I read an article in one of GQ or Esquire which named it the best beer in America as well.

In any case, my buddy was nice enough enough to smuggle some bottles home every time he was back in Chicago and then continue to do so when he swung back through California after relocating back to Chicago. So up until last January, I only had occasion to drink their beers on very rare occasions. Thankfully, they released the proprietor's reserve series here and made the Double Jack and Walker's Reserve available here in 22's and on draft.

And now as of a month or so ago, they've released Union Jack in both six packs and on draft. I am a happy Firestone fanboy. It's definitely my go-to house IPA when I don't have one of my own on tap.

After the homebrew club meeting last week, a handful of us ended up at the Bad Apple which happened to have Union Jack on draft. Most of the guys hadn't tasted it previously, but by the time the little lady and I left the better portion of our group was drinking it.

Well done Firestone crew. Now you guys just need to figure out how to get the Double Barrel Ale out here!

No comments: