Sunday, December 4, 2011

Epic Blowoff (Part 2)


Believe it or not, these two better bottles each started with the same amount of beer in them. I posted a picture earlier of the mess the one on the right made all over the bottom of the fermentation freezer. I'm not totally sure, but I think it managed to blow off about a gallon and a half. I honestly can't even believe that this fermentation produced enough CO2 to turn all of that wort into foam and then push it out through a 1/2" blowoff tube and out of a growler. Totally ridiculous.
The batch on the left had a lower OG (although still a big beer at 1.095) and tasted pretty delicious when I took a sample transferring it to a keg for pre-bottling carbonation. The batch on the right started at 1.106 and definitely needs some substantial time to mellow out. It still has some really strong coffe / astringent notes which dominate the taste of the beer. I'll follow up on it in about 3 months...




No comments: