Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Green Apple Lambic

I was just up at my cousin's summer camp this past week to hang out for a few days after they shut down for the summer. Amongst other things, we cleaned out their cooler and pantry. I literally filled up the back seat of my Civic with a whole mess of commercially packaged foods, amongst which was an entire case of green apples.

Initially, I planned on making some hard cider. But once I realized that was probably out of the question because I don't own a cider press and I don't really feel like trying to extract juice from all of those apples with my brute strength, I changed my mind and decided to make a run at a green apple lambic. (For anyone who's tried Unibroue's Ephemere, you'll know exactly why that idea came to mind.)

So, I spent a bit of time researching the style and settled on a recipe that's mostly from Papazian's Joy of Homebrewing.

The brew is presently souring away while wrapped in a sleeping bag in my coat closet. I'm pretty interested to see exactly how disgusting the whole sour mash process actually is. (According to Papazian, the smell is supposedly bad enough to make you gag and want to pitch the brew...)

No comments: