Sunday, January 8, 2012

Lakefront Brewery Tour

I'm a pretty lucky guy. I recently got engaged, and not only is my fiance fully supportive of my passion for brewing - one of the locations we're considering for our wedding is Lakefront Brewery up in Milwaukee. We'd heard a lot of great things from my family up there about both the tours and about a couple of weddings they'd gone to there.

So we headed up yesterday to both check it out, ask a few questions about the venue and go on the tour. We'll see how it plays out as a venue, but the tour itself is more appropriate for this post. I've only been on a couple of tours (Dogfish Head a.k.a. mecca and Goose Island) previously. This one was pretty standard fare in terms of walking through the brewery, seeing the pro gear and having a downright hilarious guide.

Now my fiance might call me a snob for this next comment, but the actual content of the tour was definitely geared towards the casual beer enthusiast. Don't get me wrong - it was still fun and pretty cool to see how they run their operation. I know I'm in a marginally tiny percentage of the overall population as far as brewing knowledge, but I love to learn more. (I definitely learned a few new things about Dogfish on their tour.)

If / when I bring the pipe dream of starting up a brewery to fruition, I think it'd be awesome to set up a small percentage of tours geared towards homebrewers or other enthusiasts who already have a decent understanding of the process and are interested in really learning about some of the differences in a pro setup.

No comments: